Café Osage’s Vegetable Hash with Poached Duck Eggs
1 butternut squash, diced
2 cups baby turnips, diced
4 beets, boiled and diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
10 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium white onions, diced
¼ cup fresh tarragon
1½ cup olive oil, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup pea shoots
Juice of 1 lemon
8 duck eggs, poached*
*Poach the duck eggs with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and a dash of sea salt in the water.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Toss the diced squash, turnips, beets, potatoes and onions with the tarragon, ½ cup of olive oil, flour and vinegar. Lay in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
• Roast in the oven for 1 hour, or until all of the vegetables are soft and tender.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• While the vegetables roast, prepare the pea shoot pesto: In a food processor, blend the pea shoots, lemon juice and remaining cup of olive oil. Pulse until smooth.
• To serve, place the vegetable hash on individual plates. Top with 1 or 2 poached eggs. Garnish with the pea shoot pesto.