½ lb. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
1 tsp. sea salt
8 oz. seitan, cubed
6 oz. baby bella mushrooms, quartered
1 Tbsp. butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
15 pearl onions, peeled and thawed if frozen
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ lb. beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup Burgundy or French pinot noir
2 cups vegetable stock
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch (optional)
Parsley for garnish
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• In a bowl, combine the shiitakes with ¼ cup of olive oil and sea salt. Spread the mushrooms out on a baking sheet and let them roast in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are dehydrated and crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
• Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seitan and sear. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Add another tablespoon of oil to the Dutch oven and sear the baby bellas. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Heat the butter and another tablespoon of olive oil in the Dutch oven. Add the onions and saute until they start to soften. Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the pearl onions. Saute for another 2 to 3 minutes, then add the carrots and beets. Cook until the pearl onions begin to brown.
• Deglaze the Dutch oven with the wine and let cook until the wine reduces by half.
• Add the vegetable stock, lemon juice and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced by half, about 20 to 25 minutes.
• Add the reserved seitan and mushroom "bacon," and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. If the sauce is not thick enough, add the arrowroot starch mixed with a dash of cold water.
• Right before serving, add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
• Serve over mashed potatoes or cooked egg noodles.