Home Wine Kitchen’s Carrot Apple Ginger Soup
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced
2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small apple, peeled and sliced, plus additional for garnish
1½ cups sliced, peeled carrots
1 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Freshly chopped chives for garnish
• Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft.
• Add the ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant.
• Add the apples and carrots, and cook until they begin to soften and brown.
• Deglaze the pot with the white wine, then add the vegetable broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let simmer until the soup is flavorful and all of the vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and let cool.
• Once the soup has cooled, purée it in a blender and then return it to the pot. Bring the soup back to a simmer and then adjust the seasoning as needed with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
• Garnish with fresh apple slices and chopped chives.