Banana-Coffee-Whopper-Heath Bar Tart Paired With Warm Schlafly Coffee Stout
Ted Drewes' Banana-Heath Bar Concrete inspired The Tap Room's executive chef and general manager to create this decadent dessert.
For the tart shell:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
½ lb. butter, cubed
1 tsp. salt
½ cup ice water
For the filling
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 Tbsp. ground coffee
4½ oz. sugar
8 egg yolks
5 oz. Heath Bar, crushed
4 oz. Whoppers, crushed
• Sift flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl.
• Mix in butter until the mixture reaches a fine crumb.
• Gradually incorporate enough ice water until the dough adheres to itself when pinched. The consistency should be such that dough is satiny and barely sticks to the fingers. Do not overwork the dough.
• Gather dough into a ball and wrap in a sheet of plastic wrap. Let rest in refrigerator for 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an 11- to 13-inch circle. Turn the dough into a 10- to 12-inch tart pan, pushing gently into the corners and up the sides. Let excess dough hang over the sides of the pan.
• Line the top of the shell with foil, and place a handful of dried beans on top of the foil to keep the shell from puffing. Bake shell in the oven for 30 minutes.
• Remove from oven, let cool and remove excess dough by trimming the edges around the tart pan.
• Heat cream, vanilla, coffee and sugar to scald.
• Strain mixture through fine strainer into a blender.
• Add banana and blend for 2 minutes.
• Slowly add yolks, blending 1 at a time.
• Pour filling into prebaked tart shell.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until set.
• Remove from oven and sprinkle with crushed Heath Bars and Whoppers.
• Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
For the beer
• Bring one quart of water to a boil in a pot.
• Turn heat off and place 3 open bottles of Schlafly Coffee Stout in the pot.
• Let sit until beer reaches temperature of 90 to 100 degrees.
• Pour into 12 demitasse cups. Refill as needed.