Black Bean, Spinach and Feta Empanadas
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/3 cup crumbled feta
2 sheets puff pastry*
1 egg white
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute. When the onion begins to turn translucent, add the spinach. Saute until the spinach is wilted and the onion is translucent, about 2 to 3 more minutes.
• Add the garlic and coriander. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the salt and pepper.
• In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the onion mixture, black beans and lime juice. Pulse until the beans are chopped but not a paste. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the feta. Season to taste.
• Cut each puff pastry sheet into 9 even squares. Place 2 heaping teaspoons of the black bean-feta mixture in the center of each square. Fold the squares in half diagonally, stretching the pastry to cover the beans, making a triangle. Use your fingertips or the tines of a fork to seal the pastry edges.
• Place the empanadas on non-greased baking sheets. Mix the egg white with 1 tablespoon of cold water, and brush the empanada tops with the egg wash.
• Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa and sour cream.