Pastaria's Pistachio Raviolis
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups pistachios, shelled
1 cup mascarpone cheese
Kosher salt to taste
1 cup semolina flour
6 egg yolks, beaten
½ lb. butter
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup roughly chopped mint
• Place a piping bag in the refrigerator until ready to use.
• Place the all-purpose flour in the bowl of a food processor. Turn on the food processor and begin adding the eggs, one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before dropping the next one in. After adding each egg, check the dough by stopping the food processor and squeezing a small amount of the dough. If it holds together, it is ready, even if you have not used all of the eggs.
• When the dough is ready, dump it out of the food processor onto a clean, floured work surface and knead for about 1 minute. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside.
• Simmer the pistachios in water until completely tender. Drain and place in a blender. Add the mascarpone cheese. Blend until completely smooth. Season with salt.
• Remove from the blender and place in the chilled piping bag. Note: The bag must be cold to make the raviolis.
• When you’re ready to make the raviolis, dust the table with the semolina flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Roll out the pasta dough as thin as possible. (If you have a pasta maker, use it for this step.)
• Once you have rolled out the dough, cut it in half vertically so you have 2 long pieces that are equal in width.
• Pipe out small rounds of the pistachio puree in two rows on top of the pasta, using roughly 1 tablespoon per ravioli and leaving about 2 inches in between each round. You should have 30 rounds.
• Brush the pasta with the egg yolks around the puree so the next layer of pasta will stick when you place it on top.
• Gently lay the other piece of pasta on top of the purée, carefully pressing down around the filling. Once the other piece is completely on top, go back and re-press each ravioli to make sure it is completely sealed.
• Cut each ravioli into your desired shape and freeze until ready to cook.
• When you are ready to cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
• At the same time, place the butter in a saute pan with a pinch of kosher salt and turn the heat to high.
• Working in batches, add raviolis to the boiling water. Once the raviolis begin to float to the top of the pot, remove them using a slotted spoon and place on a plate, making sure they aren’t touching one another.
• Meanwhile, continuously stir the butter. Once it is completely melted, it will begin to bubble and turn brown. When it begins to turn brown, slowly add the lemon juice to avoid the butter boiling over the sides of the pan.
• Once the last batch of ravioli has floated to the top of the pot, remove the butter from the heat and place all of the raviolis in the browned butter to coat them. Remove 1 ravioli from the pan and cut it in half to make sure the pasta is fully cooked and the filling is hot.
• Place raviolis on a warmed serving platter and garnish with freshly chopped mint.
Tags : Pasta , Pistachios