Spring Tuscan Kale, Asparagus and Snap Pea Pod Slaw
1 lb. fresh asparagus
½ lb. fresh snap pea pods with barely formed peas
½ lb. pound Tuscan kale
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
French Grey sea salt to taste
¼ to 1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup roughly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• Wash and trim the ends of the asparagus. Prepare an ice water bath in a large mixing bowl. Blanch the asparagus by immersing it in boiling water for 2 minutes, then remove, drain and place the spears into the ice water bath.
• Repeat step one with the snap pea pods.
• Fill the sink with cold water and immerse the kale, swishing the leaves to dislodge any dirt or sand. Repeat twice.
• Drain the kale, then remove the center rib from the larger leaves. Cut the kale crosswise into thin ribbons and place on paper towels to blot excess moisture. Place the cut kale in a large salad bowl.
• Cut the blanched asparagus spears on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
• Add the asparagus and the pea pods to the kale. Toss to combine.
• Grate the zest from the lemons and add it to the salad bowl. Juice the lemons, strain the juice for seeds and pour over the top of the greens. Grind the pepper and sea salt to taste over the salad. Drizzle with a generous pour of olive oil, and toss to coat thoroughly.
• Arrange the slaw on individual plates and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano.