Half & Half's Pork Belly
1 cup sugar
1 cup salt
2 Tbsp. juniper berries
2 Tbsp. black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
½ onion, sliced
4 cups water
2 lb. pork belly
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup beef stock
½ cup balsamic vinegar
6 eggs, fried or poached
• In a large pot or nonreactive bowl with a lid, combine the sugar, salt, juniper berries, peppercorns, bay leaf, onion slices and water.
• Add the pork belly and allow to brine in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
• In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat. Add the brined pork belly and sear until browned on both sides.
• Add the beef stock and the balsamic vinegar, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
• Cover the pot and place in the oven. Cook for 8 hours.
• Remove the pork belly from the braising liquid, storing it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
• When ready to serve, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the pork belly and cook until crisped and warmed through.
• Slice the pork belly and portion onto individual plates. Top each plate with a fried or poached egg and serve.