Cielo's Kumamoto Oysters With Apple Gelée
2 leaves gelatin
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1 pinch ascorbic acid powder (Vitamin C crystals)
4 Granny Smith apples, quartered, stems and seeds removed
3 sprigs fresh mint (I dig chocolate mint)
1 Tbs. Champagne
24 Kumamoto Oysters, scrubbed well
• Bloom the gelatin in water. (To bloom the gelatin, sprinkle the powdered gelatin into the water and let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes. When the mixture is heated, the gelatin should dissolve evenly.) Squeeze out excess water.
• Put lime juice in a small bowl. Add the Vitamin C crystals. Stir to dissolve.
• Run apples and mint leaves through a juicer into bowl of lime and Vitamin C crystals.
• Skim foam from juice.
• Place gelatin in a small bowl over a pot of simmering water.
• Moisten the gelatin with a few tablespoons of the apple juice.
• Gently heat gelatin until completely dissolved.
• Pour through a fine strainer into remaining juice.
• Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours (this will be a loose gel).
• Stir Champagne into apple gelée.
• Open the oysters; pour off excess liquid. Make sure oysters are clear of bits of shell.
• Spoon a small amount of gelée over each oyster in its shell. It should spread and envelop the oyster in translucent green.
• Serve immediately.