Buñuelos de Bacalao (Cod Fritters)
1 lb. salt cod, skinned and boned
1 lb. potatoes
2 eggs, separated
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
½ cup flour
¼ tsp. cayenne
3 cloves garlic, diced
¼ tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. minced chives
3 cups olive oil
• Rinse the cod and then soak it in water for for 24 to 36 hours, changing water two or three times.
• In two small pots, boil the cod and potatoes until soft in just enough water to cover them.
• Crumble the potatoes and the cod in a medium bowl using a large fork.
• Add the egg yolks, salt, parsley, flour, cayenne, garlic, cumin and chives to the cod and potatoes, and mix by hand; then transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
• In a small bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, and fold them into the cod mixture.
• In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet or frying pan, heat the oil to 375 degrees.
• Using a tablespoon – the fritters look best in rustic shapes – carefully drop the cod mix into the oil.
• Fry the fritters until golden brown on all sides and serve with lemon aïoli if desired.