Veggie Tortilla Pie
1 10-inch flour tortilla
3 cups spinach, coarsely chopped (may substitute Swiss chard or kale leaves)
1 Tbsp. olive oil1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized zucchini, thinly sliced
½ medium-sized sweet bell pepper, diced
5 large eggs
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup diced ham
1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 deli-size slices Swiss cheese, cut into ¼-inch strips
• To form the crust, place the flour tortilla in the center of an ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the spinach. Stir to submerge the leaves, and cook over high heat about 2 minutes. Leaves should be wilted and somewhat tender but still bright green. Drain well in colander and set aside.
• Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell pepper and continue to stir until the mixture becomes tender and starts to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Break the eggs in a large bowl and whisk well. Add to the bowl the Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, ham, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the spinach and the vegetable mixture to the bowl and mix again. Pour filling into the center of the pie pan, trying to keep the filling from seeping underneath the tortilla. Use a spatula to spread mixture evenly. Form a lattice by criss-crossing Swiss cheese strips on top of the filling.
• Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until center of pie is firm and lightly golden. Remove and allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving.