If the gratin’s not crusty and brown enough for your liking after cooking, you can flash it under the broiler for several minutes until the top is caramelized.
24 oz. (approximately 3 cups) baby carrots
2 Tbsp. butter
½ large onion, chopped
1 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. flour
1 cup milk (at least 2 percent)
8 oz. extra-sharp Cheddar, divided
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the baby carrots and cook until still crunchy but easily pierced by a fork. Drain.
• Meanwhile, make your curried béchamel. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add the onion, and cook until soft and slightly browned, approximately 10 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour, cook for 1 minute more, then add the milk. Stir together and cook until thickened, about 4 minutes.
• Divide the block of Cheddar in half. Cut one half into matchsticks and put into a mixing bowl. Grate the remaining Cheddar (when grated, it should equal 1 cup) and set aside.
• Add the cooked carrots to the Cheddar matchsticks. Add the sauce and mix together thoroughly.
• Put into a greased 9-inch square dish, preferably glass or ceramic. Sprinkle the grated Cheddar over the top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then raise the heat to 400 for 10 minutes or until browned.