Fresh pasta is not a day-long endeavor, but truly a 30-minute dinner. And when it is made from scratch, the pasta is light and delicate and utterly delicious. So delicious that you can always taste the difference between boxed dried pasta and homemade; homemade pasta tastes better in every recipe.
1 cup flour
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp. olive oil
• Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil.
• Mix together the flour, egg and egg yolk by hand or in a food processor.
• Add the olive oil and enough water to make a dough.
• Cut the dough in half and sprinkle it with flour.
• Using a pasta machine on the widest setting, knead the dough by rolling it through the machine. Fold in half and roll again. Repeat 4 to 5 times, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
• Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest while you prepare the sauce.
• Roll the dough successively through all the machine’s settings to make it as thin as possible.
• Using the machine’s cutters or by hand, cut the rolled pasta dough into noodles.
• Boil the pasta for 1 to 2 minutes.
• Drain and toss with olive oil or sauce.