Summer Squash and Basil Pistou
- 75 g. garlic cloves
- 720 g. summer squash or zucchini, medium diced
- Neutral oil, for cooking
- 300 g. picked basil
- 6 g. lemon zest
- 3 g. citric acid
- 2 g. ascorbic acid
- 525 g. olive oil
- Salt and lemon juice, to taste
• Prepare an ice bath and boil a pot of water. Peel the garlic cloves and blanch in the boiling water for several seconds before transferring to the ice bath. Repeat this process two more times.
• In a pan over medium heat, combine the summer squash and a splash of neutral oil. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool completely.
• In a food processor, combine the squash, blanched garlic, basil, lemon zest, citric acid and ascorbic acid. Slowly add the olive oil to mixture while blending to emulsify. Do not over blend.
• Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
• Serve as a spread for a tomato salad, a sauce for a fish, or toss pasta in it with some grated cheese.