Boston Baked Beans
1 lb. dried navy beans
4 to 6 slices thick-cut bacon
1¼ cup blackstrap molasses or dark molasses
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 medium white onion, cut into ½-inch slices
• Soak the beans overnight in 4 cups water. Drain, reserving soaking liquid.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Cook the bacon in a hot skillet until seared but not crispy. Chop bacon into small pieces and set aside.
• In a bowl, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, brown sugar, cider vinegar and hot sauce.
• Add ¹∕³ of the beans to the bottom of a deep baking dish. Next, add ¹∕³ of the bacon, followed by ¹∕³ of the onions. Repeat, adding another layer each of ¹∕³ of the beans, bacon and onions. Top with remaining beans. Pour the sauce on top. Add the reserved soaking liquid and top with remaining bacon and onions. Cover and bake 2½ hours.