Olio's Braised Lamb Shoulder
1½ Tbsp. kosher salt
1½ Tbsp. ras el hanout
1½ Tbsp. sugar
1 3-lb. bone-in lamb shoulder
4 cups lamb, chicken or beef stock
10 garlic cloves
3 to 4 celery stalks, medium diced
2 large carrots, medium diced
1 fennel bulb, medium diced
1 large onion, medium diced
3 rosemary sprigs
1 thyme sprig
3 Tbsp. harissa, plus more to taste
Chickpea salad (recipe here)
• Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
• Stir together the salt, ras el hanout and sugar in a small bowl.
• Trim the fat off the lamb shoulder, and rub the spice mixture all over the meat.
• Place the meat on a rack in a roasting pan and add the stock, garlic, celery, carrots, fennel, onion, rosemary and thyme.
• Cover the pan with parchment, then foil and crimp the edges to seal. Braise 10 hours.
• Let rest until cool enough to handle. Separate the meat from bones and shred.
• Mix the meat with harissa to taste. Serve over the chickpea salad.