Union Loafer's Grain Salad
3 cups pearled barley
2 Tbsp. plus a pinch of kosher salt, divided
1 cup distilled white vinegar
¼ cup golden raisins
1 bunch kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup parsley-almond pesto, plus more to taste (recipe follows)
1 cup chopped toasted, salted almonds, plus more for garnish
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
• Fill a large pot with water, the barley and 2 tablespoons salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring every 5 minutes until the barley is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain any excess water and refrigerate until cool.
• Meanwhile, combine the vinegar and raisins in a small bowl and soak until the raisins are slightly rehydrated, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
• To assemble the salad, toss the barley, pickled raisins, kale, olive oil, lemon juice and the remaining pinch of salt in a large bowl.
• Add the parsley-almond pesto and toss until evenly coated.
• Divide the salad among serving plates and top liberally with the almonds, feta cheese and additional pesto.