Pancake Ice Cream
3 cups half-and-half
²∕³ cup sugar
Small pinch of kosher salt
6 egg yolks
2 large syrup-soaked pancakes or waffles, chopped
Maple syrup, chopped nuts and crumbled bacon (optional)
• In a saucepot over medium-high heat, whisk the half-and-half, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Whisk together the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk the warm half-and-half into the egg yolks until incorporated.
• Return the mixture to the saucepot over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture reaches 170 degrees and coats the back
of a spoon, about 10 to 15 minutes.
• Remove from heat and stir in the pancakes and any collected syrup. Let sit until the mixture has cooled and the pancakes have infused the liquid.
• Use a fine mesh sieve to strain the ice cream base into a large mixing bowl. Discard the solids. Pour the base into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze until solid.
• Serve the ice cream garnished with the maple syrup, chopped nuts or crumbled bacon, if desired.