Cherry Stone Soup
This recipe was originally posted as part of The Weekend Project. Click here to see the recipe in its entirety, or follow the links below for additional recipe instruction.
1 lb. cherries
2 cups water
½ cup honey
2 cups strawberries, cored and sliced
2 cups blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
6 Tbsp. lemon juice
Mint leaves for garnish
● Pit the cherries, reserving the pits and stems. Set the fruit aside.
● Place the pits in a large zip-top bag. Crack the pits open with a hammer or the bottom of a cast-iron skillet.
● Pour the cracked pits into a large saucepan with the stems, water and honey. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, skimming off any foam as it forms. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes.
● Strain the liquid into another bowl; discard the stems and pits. Return the liquid to the stove over medium heat and add the cherries. Cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
● Add the berries and lemon juice to the cherry soup. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors meld.
● Serve the soup with Bourbon Peach Sorbet. Garnish with mint leaves and Mahlab Tart cookies.