This recipe was originally posted as part of The Weekend Project. Click here to see the recipe in its entirety, or follow the links below for additional recipe instruction.
4 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. white pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
3 egg yolks
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, diced
Juice of ½ lemon
• In a small saucepan, add the water, vinegar, salt, pepper and paprika. Bring to boil over high heat and reduce by half, about 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into a large metal or glass bowl and set aside.
• Prepare a double boiler by filling a 4-quart saucepot with 2 inches water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
• Place the bowl over the saucepot, add the egg yolks and whisk until smooth and silky, about 30 seconds.
• Remove the bowl from heat and whisk in ¼ cup butter until smooth. Return the bowl to the heat, add another ¼ cup butter and whisk until incorporated. Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the remaining ½ cup butter. Return the bowl to the heat as needed to melt the butter and emulsify the sauce, but take care not to overheat the hollandaise or the sauce will break.
• Remove from heat and whisk in the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside. Rewarm over the double boiler before serving if needed.