Pulled Pork Tamale Filling
½ cup chipotle pepper paste
10 cloves garlic
½ cup olive oil
1/3 cup water Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. kosher salt ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 lb. boneless pork shoulder
1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
• Day 1: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the pepper paste and garlic until chopped. With the machine running, stream in the olive oil. Add the water, lime juice, salt and pepper and purée until it is smooth. Set aside.
• Use a sharp knife or meat tenderizer and pierce the pork shoulder all over. Place it inside a large zip-top bag and pour the marinade over the meat. Seal and turn the bag to completely coat the pork. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
• Day 2: Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Place the pork sandwich in a large roasting pan and pour the marinade over it. Let rest 30 minutes at room temperature.
• Cover the meat with foil and roast 4 hours, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the pork reaches 185 to 195 degrees and the meat pulls apart with a fork.
• Let rest until cool enough to handle. Use two forks to shred the meat and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour any remaining pan juices over the shredded meat. Add the cilantro, stir, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Leftover pulled pork will keep, refrigerated, up to 1 week.