Pink Citrus Bars
These lovely pink bars are the perfect on-the-go treat for a sunny picnic and won’t melt the way chocolate is prone to do. – Amrita Rawat
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
Zest of 1 small lemon or lime
1 cup plus 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
½ cup (1 stick) butter, cubed
Pinch kosher salt
1 cup raspberries
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. lime juice
Powdered sugar, for dusting
• Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• In a small bowl, use your fingers to rub together ¼ cup granulated sugar and the zest. Transfer the citrus-sugar mixture to the bowl of a food processor and add 1 cup flour, the butter and the salt. Pulse until a dough forms.
• Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges. Remove and let cool completely.
• Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In the bowl of a food processor, purée the raspberries, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Discard the seeds.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of the raspberry purée, the eggs, lemon juice, lime juice, the remaining ¾ cup granulated sugar and the remaining 4 tablespoons flour until combined. Pour the filling over the par-baked crust. Bake 25 minutes, until the filling is just set.
• Let cool completely, then sift powdered sugar over the top. Slice into 9 bars and serve. Store any remaining raspberry purée in the refrigerator for future use.