Stellina's Charred Lemon Beurre Blanc
Editor's note: Stellina has closed.
2 small shallots, sliced
8 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsp. sea salt
4 black peppercorns
2 cups white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb. cold butter, cubed
• Carefully remove the peel from the lemons, leaving no white pith on the peel. Set peels aside. Slice the lemons in half.
• Char the lemon halves in a cast-iron skillet over high heat 3 to 5 minutes. Juice the lemons into a pot, discarding solids and seeds.
• To the same pot, add the reserved lemon peels, shallots, thyme, salt, peppercorns and wine. Simmer slowly over low heat until the liquid is syrupy and has reduced to about ½ cup.
• Add the cream and simmer gently over low heat until the sauce has thickened and is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. (A slow reduction will ensure a creamy, white sauce.)
• Remove the pot from the heat and strain the liquid into another pot, discarding the solids.
• Whisk in the cold butter a few cubes at a time. Make sure the first addition is melted before adding more. If the butter doesn’t melt, slide the pot over medium heat for a moment to increase the temperature. Continue until all the butter is melted. Serve immediately over seafood or fish.