Cheesy Grits with Wilted Greens and Poached Egg
1 quart milk
1 quart water
2 cups grits
1 stick unsalted butter, cubed, plus 2 Tbsp., divided
1 cup grated Parmesan
2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
3 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 cups dark greens (Swiss chard, spinach or kale, etc.)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 to 6 poached eggs (Recipe here.)
• Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lightly oil the paper. Bring the milk and water to a simmer. (Don’t let it boil over, or the milk will scald.)
• Slowly whisk in the grits and continue stirring until the mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low and stir every few minutes to prevent clumping, about 15 minutes total.
• Add 1 stick butter and stir to incorporate. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir. Season with salt to taste. Pour the grits onto the lined sheet tray and refrigerate.
• Heat a wok or stockpot over high heat, then add the sesame oil and onion. Saute until the onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the garlic and stir. Then add the greens and stir to coat with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Remove the grits from the refrigerator. Slice the firm grits into 2- to 3-inch squares.
• In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Fry the grits slices 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and fry 2 to 3 minutes more.
• Place 1 slice of grits on a plate. Top with a poached egg and wilted greens.