Remy's Tuscan Seafood Stew
Dreary January calls for a big pot of stew simmering on the stove, and after the meat-heavy fare of the holidays, Remy’s Kitchen and Wine Bar’s Tuscan Seafood Stew is just the thing: Seafood keeps things light, onion and garlic lend robust flavor, and a spicy tomato broth adds heat to chilly winter days.
Tuscan Seafood Stew
Courtesy of Remy’s Kitchen and Wine Bar’s Lisa Slay
½ cup olive oil
½ cup diced red onion
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1½ lbs. assorted fish such as halibut, salmon and mahi mahi, cut into pieces
½ lb. squid tubes, cut into ¼-inch rings
8 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ cup white wine
3 cups spicy tomato broth (recipe follows)
1 cup vegetable stock
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
• In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil. Add the red onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
• Add the fish, squid, shrimp and mussels and sauté briefly. Season with salt and pepper, then deglaze the pot with the wine.
• Add the spicy tomato broth and the vegetable stock, cover the pot and simmer until all of the seafood is cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes.
• To serve, ladle the stew into bowls and sprinkle each with parsley.
Spicy Tomato Broth
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
½ red onion, sliced
6 large tomatoes, diced
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
½ cup red wine
4 cups vegetable stock
½ tsp. red chile flakes
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
• In a large stock pot, heat the oil. Add the onions and tomatoes and sauté until the onions begin to brown.
• Add the garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
• Deglaze the pot with the red wine, then add the vegetable stock.
• Add the chile flakes and cayenne and simmer for 30 minutes.
• Allow the broth to cool, then purée it in batches in a blender or food processor.
More stories like this
3 recipes to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers
If you find yourself with an abundance of food this Thanksgiving, these recipes will jazz up ...
10 Thanksgiving starters and sides for a strong supporting cast
These 10 Thanksgiving recipes for starters and sides will dazzle your guests.