Champagne-Style French Onion Soup
Ingredients2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. butter
2 cups dry Champagne
2 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 thick slices French bread
6 oz. Camembert or Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced, divided
• Preheat the broiler.
• Add the butter to a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until caramelized, about 12 to 15 minutes.
• Add the Champagne, beef broth and bay leaf to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil.
• Cover the pan and let simmer for 20 minutes.
• Taste, adding salt and pepper if necessary. Remove the bay leaf.
• Place 1 thick slice of French bread in the bottoms of each of 4 ovenproof soup bowls. Ladle equal portions of the onion soup into each bowl. Top each portion with 1½ ounces of thinly sliced Camembert or Gruyere cheese. If desired, place the bowls on a baking sheet for easy removal from the oven.
• Broil until the cheese melts and begins to blister and bubble, about 10 minutes.
• Serve immediately.