Braised Beef and Honey Tajine
1 lb. carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 lb. whole fingerling potatoes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 large yellow onions, peeled and quartered
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. turmeric
3 lbs. beef, cubed
1 pint beef stock
12 oz. tomatoes, diced
4 oz. pitted dates, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. honey
Toasted almonds or pistachios for garnish
• Parboil the carrots and potatoes for 5 to 8 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
• Heat the olive oil in a tajine or Dutch oven. Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the garlic, potatoes and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
• Set aside the onion mixture. Combine all spices and coat the beef in the spice mixture. Add the beef to the tajine or Dutch oven and sauté over medium heat until the beef is browned.
• Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, bring the beef stock to a boil.
• Add the onion mixture, tomatoes and dates to the tajine or Dutch oven and mix well. Cover with beef stock and simmer for 4 to 6 hours, until the meat is fork tender. Season with salt and pepper.
• Drizzle with a touch of honey and garnish with almonds or pistachios before serving.