Pork With Port, Onions and Cherries
Ingredients½ to ¾ lb. pork loin
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 onion, thinly sliced
½ cup dried pitted cherries
½ cup port
• Thoroughly season the pork loin with salt and pepper.
• Heat a Dutch oven on medium-high heat and then pour a little olive or grapeseed oil into the pan. Add the pork loin to the pan and allow to sear for a minute or so.
• Add the onions and cherries to the pan, spreading them evenly. Allow the onions and cherries to cook, stirring every once in a while. Once the onions start to caramelize a bit, start turning the loin to brown on all sides.
• Pour in the port to degalze the pan, scraping up the fond, and add about ¼ cup of water. Let the liquid simmer for a minute or so and then turn the loin to coat on all sides.
• Spoon some of the onions and cherries on top of the meat and then cover the pan. Let the pork cook on low to medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until it’s to your desired doneness.
• Turn off the heat and let the pork sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Carve the pork into thin slices and serve with some onions, cherries and pan sauce.