Macho Vegan Cauliflower Poppers & Dip
1 large head cauliflower
1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce or other vegan hot sauce
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. Huy Fong Sriracha sauce*
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. soy milk
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 oz. silken tofu
2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
3 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
½ tsp. minced garlic
1∕8 tsp. Kosher salt
1∕8 tsp. white pepper
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
• Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Set aside.
• In a small pot, mix together the hot sauce, ¼ cup water, olive oil and Sriracha. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Keep warm over low heat.
• Combine the flour, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika in a large bowl.
• Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the soy milk, whisking until there are no lumps. Add the cauliflower to the bowl and toss, using your hands, until the pieces are evenly coated with the batter.
• Place the cauliflower pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes. Use a fork to flip the cauliflower pieces. Bake another 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and brush the hot sauce mixture over the cauliflower, flipping the pieces with a fork so that all sides can be coated. Bake another 8 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower roasts and begins to brown.
• Meanwhile, make the dip. Using a food processor, purée the beans. Add the tofu and blend until the tofu is completely incorporated into the beans. Add the cilantro, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper, and pulse until the ingredients are well blended. For a thinner dip, add water 1 teaspoon at a time and blend until it reaches the desired consistency. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with the warm cauliflower poppers.
* Some brands of Sriracha may contain shrimp paste or fish sauce. If using another brand, check the label.