Posted On: 06/01/2012
We tend to shy away from heavy foods like lasagna during warm weather months, but this summer, Bixby’s has given us a reason not to dismiss such comforting fare. Leave the oven off as you prepare this pasta sensation of sprightly seasonal ingredients like tomatoes, leeks, basil and mizuna, all layered between thin squares of fresh pasta. The shrimp, grilled asparagus and melt-y mozzarella won’t leave you feeling full, but be forewarned: That sauce will tempt you to bring out the bread and start sopping.
Shrimp and Lemon-Basil Lasagna
Courtesy of Bixby’s
For the shrimp stock:
1 lb. stock shrimp*, shell on
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, largely diced
1 small carrot, largely diced
Ľ cup tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups clam juice
1 16-oz. can tomato juice
1 star anise, broken
4 bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme
For the lasagna:
10 sheets lasagna noodles, cut into 2-by-3-inch squares
10 tail-on shrimp
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 oz. melted leeks (see left)
3 oz. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp. butter
2 oz. mizuna (or arugula)
1 oz. Marcoot Jersey Heritage cheese, shaved**
2 oz. Marcoot Jersey mozzarella***
3 asparagus spears, grilled
Lemon-basil oil (see left)
Chiffonade of basil
• First, make the stock: Place a large pot over high heat. Place the stock shrimp (shell still on) in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped.
• Add the olive oil to the pot. Immediately add the shrimp to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
• Add the onion and carrot, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
• Add the white wine and cook until most or all of the wine has evaporated.
• Add the clam juice, tomato juice, cloves, star anise, bay leaves and thyme. Turn the heat down and bring to a simmer. Let cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
• Next, make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and stir to separate the sheets. Cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
• Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add the tail-on shrimp and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the leeks, tomatoes and shrimp stock. Bring to a boil. Stir the butter into the broth.
• Add the mizuna and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
• To assemble: Place 1 pasta sheet on a plate. Top with a shaving of Heritage cheese and some cooked mizuna and tomatoes from the stock-and-shrimp mixture. Repeat until all of the pasta is used.
• Add the shrimp, mozzarella and grilled asparagus to the plate.
• Garnish with the lemon-basil oil and basil. Serve immediately.
* Available at seafood stores
** Available at Local Harvest Grocery, localharvestgrocery.com, and area farmers markets
*** Available at Maude’s Market, maudesmarket.com, and area farmers markets
Want to comment on this article? Login or sign up on Sauce.