Zucchini Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ingredients1/2 lb. zucchini
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
4 Tbsp. real maple syrup, divided
1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
• Grate the zucchini and sprinkle with salt. Drain in a fine mesh strainer for 1 hour.
• Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Stir in the vanilla extract and egg with a wooden spoon.
• In a food processor, pulse the old-fashioned oats until they reach a sandy texture, and pour in a separate bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves and another 1/4 cup of whole old-fashioned oats. Whisk to lighten.
• Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture in 3 additions.
• Squeeze the zucchini to release any moisture and gently fold it into the dough. Stir in 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
• Roll the dough into a log and freeze for 1 to 2 days.
• When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the dough from the freezer and slice evenly. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 18 minutes, or until the outsides begin to turn golden brown. Let cool, then freeze for 30 minutes.
• While the cookies are baking, stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup into 1 pint of vanilla bean ice cream. Freeze.
• To assemble the sandwiches: Spread the ice cream atop a cookie and top with another cookie. Immediately place in the freezer until the ice cream is frozen.