Ingredients2 cups pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
4 packages WestSoy extra firm tofu
½ Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Spanish paprika
¼ tsp. ground chipotle
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ Tbsp. Mexican oregano
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
3 tsp. ground coriander, divided
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
6 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 bunches cilantro, divided
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest and juice of 4 limes
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
20 white corn tortillas
1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Toast the pepitas for 8 minutes.
• Dice the tofu to 1/8-inch dice. Combine half of the toasted pepitas with the diced tofu. Mix in the garlic powder, paprika, ground chipotle, cumin, cayenne, Mexican oregano, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon coriander. Sauté the tofu mixture in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Make the pico de gallo: Combine the tomato, onion and red bell pepper. Rough chop half a bunch of cilantro and toss it with the tomato mixture. Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the rest of the cilantro for 5 seconds in the boiling water, take the cilantro out and plunge it into an ice-water bath to stop the cooking.
• Make the salsa verde: In a food processor combine the blanched cilantro, lime zest and juice, the rest of the pepitas, 2 teaspoons of ground coriander, the minced garlic, and ½ cup of olive oil. Process to a pesto-like consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Brush the tortillas with a touch of olive oil. Grill the tortillas in stacks of two (if you only use one tortilla, it will fall apart).
• Load the tortillas with the sautéed tofu mixture, a bit of chopped romaine lettuce and some of the pico de gallo. Serve with the salsa verde.