Olio's Baba Ghanoush
1 cup minced carrot
1 cup minced celery
1 cup minced onion
Grapeseed or canola oil
3 to 4 Sicilian eggplants, or 4²∕³ cups Ziyad canned eggplant
¾ cup tahini
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Fresh mint and pomegranate seeds, for garnish
Pita, for serving
• Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
• Place the carrot, celery and onion in a saucepan and add enough oil to just cover the vegetables. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables darken, about 1 hour. Let the sofrito cool and set aside.
• Meanwhile, pierce the eggplants all over with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Roast until blackened on all sides, about 30 minutes. Let cool, then cut in half and scoop out the flesh from the eggplant skins. Discard the skins and stems.
• In a food processor, pulse the roasted eggplant in batches until it reaches desired consistency.
• In a large mixing bowl, stir together the eggplant, 2 tablespoons sofrito (reserve the rest for another use), the tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
• Drizzle with olive oil, garnish with fresh mint and pomegranate seeds and serve with pita.