Chocolate Chip-Orange Muffins
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp. orange zest
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chocolate chips
3 Tbsp. turbinado sugar (or any coarse sugar)
• Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line 2 muffin pans with paper liners.
• In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk, granulated sugar, eggs, orange zest and vanilla until combined.
• Use a spatula to gently fold in the melted butter, then fold in the chocolate chips until just combined, scraping from the bottom to make sure there are no streaks of flour in the batter.
• Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, then sprinkle the turbiando sugar over the tops of each muffin.
• Bake 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the tops begin to brown and bounce back when touched. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.