Sole with Citrus-Browned Butter Sauce
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 4-oz. sole fillets
2 Tbsp. olive oil
6 Tbsp. butter
1 large shallot, minced
1/3 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Orange zest and lemon zest, for garnish (optional)
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
• Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge the fish in the flour and shake off the excess. Discard the flour and set the fillets aside.
• In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the fillets and cook 3 minutes, then carefully flip and cook on the other side another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the fillets to a serving platter and place it in the oven to keep warm.
• In a saucepot over high heat, melt the butter until it starts to foam. Add the shallot and swirl 3 to 4 minutes, until the butter begins to brown and smells nutty. Add the orange and lemon juices and cook 1 minute more, until the butter starts to foam again. Remove from heat.
• Remove the platter from the oven and drizzle with the citrus-browned butter sauce. Garnish with orange and lemon zest, if desired. Serve immediately.