½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened, divided
¼ cup ground almonds
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
½ Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ lb. French green beans, ends trimmed
2 shallots, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 “clear cut” rainbow trout* (4 fillets)
Juice of ½ lemon
• Mix together ½ cup butter, ground almonds, panko breadcrumbs and ½ tablespoon salt until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
• Blanch the green beans in a pot of salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
• In a 10-inch pan, saute the shallots in the remaining butter until translucent. Add the green beans and saute 2 minutes, until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
• Gently season the fillets with salt and pepper. Using an offset spatula, spread 2½ tablespoons of the almond butter evenly on the flesh side of each fillet.
• Heat a 12-inch nonstick pan over medium heat. Place two fillets butter-side down and sear for 3 minutes.
• With a spatula, carefully flip the fillets and cook 2 more minutes, until almost cooked through. Repeat with the other fillets.
• Place two fillets on each plate and squeeze the lemon juice over them. Garnish with the cooked beans and serve.
* When purchasing trout, ask the fishmonger to clear cut your purchase. Clear cut means the trout’s belly flap is trimmed, and its head, pelvic fins, tail and dorsal fin are removed. It’s also butterflied and deboned. All that remains are two fillets.
The Tavern Kitchen & Bar
2961 Dougherty Ferry Road, 636.825.0600, tavernstl.com