Monte Cristo Sandwiches
12 smoky tempeh slices*
4 large eggs
½ cup milk (whatever kind you have in the fridge)
1 tsp. kosher salt plus more to taste
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. raspberry preserves
8 slices Companion Pain Beaucaire bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
24 veggie turkey slices*
8 slices Havarti cheese
6 Tbsp. fig spread
Up to 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
• Prepare the tempeh bacon according to the instructions listed on the package. As you finish each batch, remove the cooked pieces to a paper-towel-lined plate and let sit until ready to use.
• In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, sugar, nutmeg and flour. Set aside.
• Spread 1½ tablespoons of raspberry preserves on 1 slice of bread. Top with 2 slices of Swiss cheese, then 3 folded slices of turkey.
• Sprinkle a little salt atop the turkey, then add 2 slices of Havarti cheese and another 3 folded slices of turkey, followed by 3 tempeh slices. Spread 1½ tablespoons of fig spread on a second slice of bread, and place it atop the turkey slices. Repeat this process until 4 sandwiches are made.
• Melt 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter in a nonstick pan over medium-low to medium heat.
• Meanwhile, take 1 sandwich and pierce the bread on 1 side with a fork. Place the pierced side into the egg batter, press down and let sit for 1 minute. Pierce the other, upward-facing slice of bread with a fork. Flip the sandwich over and press this side into the batter. Let sit for 1 minute.
• Once the pan is hot, place the battered sandwich in the pan and place a heavy skillet or pan on top of the sandwich. Let cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the sandwich, place the heavy skillet back on top and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook 2 more minutes, this time leaving the heavy skillet off. Flip once more, and cook for 2 more minutes without the heavy skillet. (The goal is to melt the cheese by cooking it at a low temperature and flipping it more than once.) Remove to a plate and keep warm.
• Repeat the dipping and cooking process with the 3 remaining sandwiches, adding more butter as needed.
• Serve with a side of Dijon mustard for dipping.
* Available at Whole Foods, 1601 S. Brentwood Blvd., Brentwood, 314.968.7744, wholefoodsmarket.com