Roasted Garlic-Adobo Salt
2 garlic bulbs
1 cup sea or kosher salt
1 Tbsp. adobo sauce*
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Chop the tops off the garlic bulbs and rub olive oil over the exposed cloves. Wrap the bulbs in foil, then roast them until they turn soft, about 40 minutes.
• Squeeze the bulbs into a small bowl, letting the roasted garlic ooze out.
• Stir in the salt and adobo sauce.
• Spread the salt mixture out in a thin, even layer on a parchment-lined dehydrator tray and dry in a dehydrator at 105 degrees for 2 hours. Alternatively, spread the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in a 170-degree oven (or your oven’s lowest setting) for 2 hours.
• Grind to desired coarseness. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Use It: After tasting the pungent garlic with hints of smoky chipotle, your store-bought garlic salt will quickly be replaced. Sprinkle this new staple on red beans and rice or carne asada tacos.
* This is the sauce inside a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, available at area grocers
Tags : Garlic