Budget Crunch: 8 delicious deals for (almost) $10 or less
Got $10 and a friend? Then contributor Kevin Korinek has 8 tasty deals you must have now.
1. This Valentine's Day deal at Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream is slightly above our normal limit, so make sure your special someone can chip in. Get a $15 ice-cream bouquet of chocolate for two today, Feb, 14. The bouquet includes two waffle cones topped with three scoops: Darkest Chocolate, cookies and cream and dark chocolate truffle. Wash it down with two bottles of Boylan’s Classic Seltzer. Nothing says I love you like six scoops of ice cream.
2. Fuzzy’s Taco Shop will make it rain tacos on its three-year anniversary, Monday Feb. 19. Dine in at the Maryland Heights location and get $1 tacos all day. The deal excludes options like the shrimp, Cali Heat and fajita tacos, but there are so many more to try, like shredded brisket, fish tempura, grilled veggie and more. Take your pick and chow down.
3. Out-of-this-world Southtown barbecue joint The Stellar Hog has a new dessert on the menu that should become a staple – $7 S’mores Bread Pudding. Sugar, milk, eggs and custard soak into stale bread all day before its topped with graham cracker crumble and house-made marshmallow fluff. It has luxurious, campfire flavor and is seriously crave-worthy.
4. Another call for tacos – this time at Southtown Pub in Tower Grove South, an upscale, neighborhood dive, perfect for fans of hockey and barbecue. Every Tuesday, enjoy $2 off craft margaritas and $3 tacos. My favorite is the tender beef brisket topped with pico de gallo and sour cream. It might still be too cold for patio seating and the free washer pit, but there are plenty of seats and TVs at the bar to catch a Blues game.
5. 4 Hands Brewing Co. and The Sweet Divine might have the most budget-friendly Valentine’s Day deal in town. Today, Feb. 14., enjoy three 5-ounce pours paired with three mini cupcakes for $10. Try the Cherry Chocolate Milk Stout with a Cherry Chocolate Milk stout cupcake, the Strawberry Chocolate Milk Stout with a chocolate-covered strawberry cupcake and Pineapple City Wide with a pineapple upside-down cupcake. Pineapple City Wide? Sign me up.
6. Urban Chestnut Brewing Co. is celebrating three breweries, seven years of craft beer and you. February is Customer Appreciation Month at all three UCBC locations, and the entire month is filled with Instagram contests, discounted drafts and cool, collectible glassware. For you Budget Crunchers, enjoy $5 pretzel plates served with Obatzda cheese, Bavarian mustard and whipped butter.
7. If you haven’t tried it yet, it’s a good time to stop by the Pig & Pickle in Debaliviere Place. The southern-style restaurant serves small plates big on flavor, and now it’s updated the happy hour menu for spring. In addition to half-priced draft beer and $4 glasses of Scarpetta Frico Rosso from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday, snack on $8 pretzel-covered cheese curds or $10 chicken wings tossed with soy-based sauce and chili honey.
8. Not enough money to travel? Broaden your palate at The Palm Trees Restaurant on Cherokee Street, which features authentic Saudi and Middle Eastern food. This month, get any lunch sandwich with a side salad for $7. I dig the shish tawook with grilled chicken breast marinated in garlic and lemon juice, or go for the Special Falafel sandwich stuffed with fried eggplant, mashed potato and tossed with tahini.
Kevin Korinek is a freelance writer and photographer with a passion for making homemade pie.
More stories like this
An autumn tour of Illinois' Calhoun and Jersey counties
Illinois’ Calhoun and Jersey counties, located just an hour from downtown St. Louis, make for ideal ...
First Look: Commonwealth inside the Angad Arts Hotel in Grand Center Arts District
Commonwealth opened Wednesday, Oct. 6, inside the Angad Arts Hotel at 634 N. Grand Blvd. in ...