Ingredients1 cup white kidney beans
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. bratwurst seasoning*
2 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. ground celery seed
1 tsp. ground cardamom
2 tsp. dried majoram
1½ tsp. salt
2½ cups Bob’s Red Mill vital wheat gluten flour**
1 cup Match ground pork**
3 bottles German beer
3 cups fresh sauerkraut***
Hot German mustard***
Medium German mustard***
Bavarian sweet mustard***
• Purée the kidney beans in a food processor until smooth.
• Transfer to a bowl and stir in the next 9 ingredients (through salt).
• Mix in the wheat gluten flour.
• Add the ground pork substitute and, with your hands, work the mixture together until combined.
• Tear off a foot-long piece of foil and cut 6 foot-long strips of cheesecloth.
• Using a scale, divide the brat mixture into 6 equal portions and form each into a rough bratwurst shape. Place 1 brat across the foil at the end nearest you. Roll the foil up tightly, keeping pressure on it with the palms of your hands.
• Take a piece of cheesecloth and unfold it into a single layer. Unroll the foil-wrapped brat (Reserve the foil piece, as you’ll use it for the other brats.), and place the brat atop the unfolded cheesecloth. Roll the brat firmly, but not too tight or the mixture will push through the holes. Once rolled, twist the ends of the cheesecloth and tuck them underneath to help the brat keep its shape. Repeat with remaining brats.
• Bring 2 bottles of beer to a boil in a large saucepot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and fit a steamer basket inside.
• Place the brats in the steamer basket, followed by the saucepot lid. Steam the brats for 40 minutes or until they’re set. If the beer gets low, open the third bottle, remove the steamer basket and pour half the bottle into the saucepot. Once the foam subsides, replace the brat-filled basket, recover and continue steaming.
• Once the brats are cooked, remove them from the basket and place on a platter. Unroll them from the cheesecloth.
• Serve with warm sauerkraut, mustard and buns.
* Available at Penzeys, penzeys.com
** Available at most Dierbergs locations, dierbergs.com
*** Available at G&W Sausage, gwsausage.com