3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 medium leeks, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
6 cups chopped roasted pumpkin
5 cups vegetable stock
¼ to ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup crème fraîche
Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
• Brown the butter in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
• As soon as the butter starts to brown, reduce the heat and stir in the leeks and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and cook for a minute more.
• Add the pumpkin and the stock and stir to combine.
• Add the red pepper flakes, curry, coriander, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
• In batches, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Return the soup to the pan.
• With the soup over low heat, add the brown sugar and stir well. Continue stirring and slowly add the crème fraîche.
• Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds. Season with salt and pepper and serve.