Tart Cherry Salsa
Ingredients3 cups pitted tart red cherries, divided
1 cup chopped red onion
½ cup dried cranberries, cherries or currants
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp. superfine sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 to 2 medium jalapeños
1 cup cilantro leaves
• Place 2 cups of the pitted cherries in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the chopped red onion, dried fruit, the lime juice and sugar. Bring to a low boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring as needed.
• When the mixture is at a low boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
• Place the cornstarch in a small cup. Uncover the cherries and spoon 4 to 5 tablespoons of the cherry juice into the cornstarch, stirring to eliminate lumps.
• Add the cornstarch slurry and the reserved cup of cherries to the pot and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 5 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
• Add the chopped bell pepper, chopped jalapeños and cilantro leaves. Stir to incorporate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.