Carrot, Ginger and Orange Purée
2 lbs. fresh carrots
1½ Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
½ cup orange juice
1 tsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• Rinse and scrub the carrots. Cut into ½-inch pieces. Place in a 2-quart saucepan and add water to cover. Cook over medium heat, covered, for 18 to 20 minutes until the carrots are soft.
• Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking water. Return the cooked carrots to the saucepan and shake over medium-high heat until the carrot pieces just dry. Remove from the heat.
• Add the ginger, butter, orange juice and zest. Mix well. Divide the carrots in half. Purée one half in a food processor until smooth.
• Mash the other half of the carrots with a fork. Add the puréed carrots to the mashed carrots and stir together. The purée should be silky with a little chunkiness. If the purée is too thick, add a little of the cooking water to thin. Add the lemon juice.
• Add honey to taste to sweeten the mixture, if desired.
• To warm, return the carrots to the stove and stir frequently until warmed or heat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Serve as a side dish or as a bed for roasted pork or chicken.