1 shallot, sliced plus ½ Tbsp. minced shallot
Olive oil for sautéing
1 head cauliflower, trimmed to florets
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter (optional)
1 quart vegetable stock
¼ cup cream (optional)
Salt and pepper
2 oz. shiitake mushrooms
2 oz. oyster mushrooms
2 oz. trumpet mushrooms
2 yellow squash
½ Tbsp. minced garlic
1/8 cup shredded Parmesan (optional)
½ cup chiffonade of sorrel
• Make the cauliflower sauce: In a nonreactive pan, sauté the sliced shallot in olive oil until soft and colorless.
• Add the cauliflower and toss with the butter.
• Pour in the vegetable stock until it almost covers the cauliflower, add the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Simmer until the cauliflower is soft and falling apart. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
• Purée in a blender or food processor and reserve.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Clean and cut the mushrooms into 1-inch-by-1-inch pieces. Place them on a sheet pan, toss lightly with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast the mushrooms for 5 minutes. Reserve.
• Julienne the zucchini and yellow squash, except for the seedy centers.
• In a sauté pan, sweat the garlic and the minced shallot in olive oil.
• Add the julienned squash and the roasted mushrooms and sauté until slightly soft.
• Add 1 cup of the cauliflower purée, the Parmesan, salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
• Finish with chiffonade of sorrel.
* To make this dish vegan, simply omit the butter, cream and Parmesan.
I made this as a vegan entree, no butter, cream, etc. I added whole wheat pasta and subsituted basil for the sorrel (because that's what I had). Easy and delicious!