Atlas' Duck Confit
4 duck legs
4 duck thighs
1 head garlic, cloves sliced
12 sprigs fresh thyme
4 whole cloves
1 tub duck fat
• In a large bowl, liberally salt the duck pieces. Add the sliced garlic, thyme and cloves, and mix.
• Transfer the duck mixture to a shallow pan, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 3 days.
• Remove the duck from the refrigerator, and brush the salt and spices from the duck pieces. Place the duck pieces in a Dutch oven.
• In a saucepan, melt the duck fat over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
• Pour the fat over the duck, enough to cover. Poach over very low heat on the stovetop – don’t allow the fat to boil, the mixture should barely simmer – for roughly 1 hour or until the fat is clear and the duck almost falls from the bone when touched.