Fennel and Carrot Gratin
3 fennel bulbs, fronds reserved
3 large peeled carrots
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. orange zest
½ cup grated pecorino
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
Olive oil, for drizzling
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
• Use a mandoline to cut the fennel bulbs horizontally and the carrots diagonally into ¼-inch slices.
• In an oiled shallow baking dish, layer a third of the fennel, then half of the carrots. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the orange zest. Top with another third of the fennel, the remaining carrots, more salt and pepper, then the remaining fennel.
• Sprinkle the top with the pecorino, breadcrumbs and fresh thyme and drizzle with olive oil.
• Bake until the vegetables are tender and the top is golden brown, a little more than 1 hour.
• Garnish with chopped fennel fronds. Serve hot or at room temperature.