Grace Meat & Three's Fried Catfish Nuggets
1 12-oz. can Busch beer
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. plus ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
¾ tsp. fine sea salt, divided
3 lbs. catfish, cut into nuggets
2¾ cups cornmeal
¾ cup flour
½ cup cornstarch
1¾ Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. creole spice mix
2 cups buttermilk
¼ cup corn oil or vegetable oil
Comeback Sauce, for dipping (recipe here)
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the beer, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt. Submerge the catfish in the mixture and marinate 1 hour.
• In a large shallow baking dish, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, the remaining 1 tablespoon black pepper, cayenne, creole spice mix and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
• Preheat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, until it reaches 350 degrees.
• Remove the catfish and discard the marinade. Shake off any excess liquid. Dip in the buttermilk, shake off the excess, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture until evenly coated.
• Fry the catfish 3 minutes on each side until golden-brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and serve immediately with Comeback Sauce for dipping.