Roasted Beet Salad
This recipe was originally posted as part of The Weekend Project. Click below to see the recipe in its entirety, or follow the directions below for additional recipe instruction.
8 cups thinly sliced cabbage
2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tsp. red pepper paste
1 reserved Roasted Beet (recipe above)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. sugar
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a 2-foot long sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil over a baking sheet.
• Place the beets in the center of the foil and evenly coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Scatter the thyme sprigs over the top and fold the foil into a tight packet.
• Roast 45 minutes, until the beets are fork tender. Unwrap and let cool enough to handle.
• Use a clean old dishtowel to rub the skins from the beets. Reserve 1 beet for the Lebanese Cole Slaw (recipe follows).
• Dice the remaining 6 beets into ¼-inch cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, chives, ginger, balsamic vinegar, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Toss, refrigerate until ready to serve.