1 cup tomato juice
¾ cup tomato paste
2 large eggs
1 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
5 lbs. ground beef
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1½ Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
¼ cup canola oil
8 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 cups low-sodium beef broth (no MSG)
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
½ cup red wine
• Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a rimmed,18-by-13-inch baking sheet.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato juice, tomato paste and eggs. Set aside.
• In another large bowl, mix together the onion, ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and the tomato mixture until well incorporated.
• Divide the meat mixture in half and form into 2 loaves. Set the loaves on the baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of each meatloaf reaches 125 degrees.
• Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a 2-quart saucepan. Over high heat saute the mushrooms 3 minutes.
• Lower the heat to medium and deglaze with the beef broth, scraping the bottom of the pan, and bring to a simmer.
• In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch into the red wine to dissolve. Add the slurry to the beef broth, and simmer 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Cut the meatloaf into ½-inch slices. Working in batches on a grill pan over medium heat, sear the slices 3 minutes, rotate the slices 90 degrees and sear another 3 minutes. Flip meatloaf and repeat on opposite side.
• To serve, place 2 slices of meatloaf on each plate and ladle mushroom sauce over the top.