Floyd Johnson’s Deep-fried Whole Chicken
Ingredients1 whole chicken, giblets and neck removed
3 to 4 Tbsp. lemon pepper seasoning
• Place the chicken in a turkey deep fryer.
• Pour water over the chicken until it’s just covered. Mark that level on the fryer and pour off the water.
• Add peanut oil to the mark.
• Heat the oil to 475 degrees (use a candy or oil thermometer to check the temperature).
• Meanwhile, rub the chicken inside and out with lemon pepper.
• When the oil is hot enough, add the chicken. (The temperature of the oil will drop.)
• Cook the chicken until it floats, usually about 30 minutes.
• Carefully remove it from the fryer and check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. It should be 180 degrees in the thigh, 165 degrees in the breast.